top of page

677 - City Hall

This black-and-white photo shows the historic City Hall building in downtown Grand Forks, ND. Built in 1911, the three-story Beaux-Arts style structure features a symmetrical façade with stone accents, arched windows, and classical columns framing the main entrance. The words “City Hall” are prominently displayed above the arched doorway, with an American flag flying in front of the building.

This black-and-white photo shows the historic City Hall building in downtown Grand Forks, ND. Built in 1911, the three-story Beaux-Arts style structure features a symmetrical façade with stone accents, arched windows, and classical columns framing the main entrance. The words “City Hall” are prominently displayed above the arched doorway, with an American flag flying in front of the building.

677 - City HallTalking Trail
00:00 / 02:34

One of the earliest written histories of Grand Forks notes that in 1871, approximately 50 people had settled here. By 1874, the U.S. Lands Office began accepting claims, and sales were formalized for Grand Forks County. Four years later, a government was formed and the settlement of Grand Forks was transforming into a village. By 1880, the population had increased to 1,843 people, and a year later, the Grand Forks was officially incorporated. The prospect of new business opportunities and land ownership through the Homestead Act of 1862 enticed new settlers to the town and the region. Located at the intersection of river, rail and transcontinental road transportation, Grand Forks quickly became the Metropolis of the Red River Valley.

By 1910, the population had rapidly increased to more than 12,000. In September that year, the City Council selected local architect, J.W. Ross whose winning design for the new City Hall reflected a similar architectural style to nearby Federal Building. It was constructed during the Second Dakota Boom which was a period of prosperity. It was described as one of the best in the northwest with every facility for handling municipal affairs. Council Chambers and committee rooms occupied the top floor, with the Mayor’s office and various departments on the second floor. On the lower level was the police headquarters, the Police Court and separate jail cells for men and women.

It opened with much fanfare on November 15, 1911. The newspaper headline read, “Grand Forks Turned Out In Force at Dedication of New City Hall.” Citizens flocked to inspect their newest civic building and to witness the dedication ceremony. City Hall was celebrated as a monument to the progressive attitude of Grand Forks citizens.

The growth of the City in the following decades meant that the people’s house also needed to grow. The modern addition to the north of the historic building was constructed in the early 1990s to expand the space for the various departments. At that time, the Council Chambers were also renovated which substantially changed the traditional meeting space. In 2023, the Chambers were again updated and the charm restored with rich wood paneling, original windows restored and updated technology for the time. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

bottom of page